Ghirardelli Chocolate Dipped Fruit and Nut Easter Egg (GF)--
Surprise your family with this delicious and rich homemade treat! This is so much better than store bought Easter candy. The combination of Maraschino Cherries, coconut, and nuts is absolutely decadent! The Easter bunny will love the help filling the baskets!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp (1 stick)
- 1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract (gf)
- 9 cups confectioners 10x sugar (2 lb. bag)
- 1 cup Maraschino Cherries, drained and finely pureed (about 3 small jars)
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 2 (12 oz.) bags Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. shortening
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix will until well blended. Gradually beat in the sugar.
- Add the pureed cherries, pecans, and coconut. Mix until well blended. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge. Shape the fruit mixture into egg shapes (about the size of your palm). Place on wax paper and refrigerator overnight.
- Using a double broiler over medium heat, add the chocolate and shortening. Heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove the eggs from the refrigerator. Using a spoon or large fork, dip the egg in the chocolate. Make sure to cover both sides. Set the chocolate covered eggs on wax paper to drain and cool.
After the eggs have set. Decorate to your fancy!
Viola! We have chocolate covered fruit and nut Easter eggs! Enjoy!!