Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie---
We all have our favorite comfort foods, my daughter Riley (our original celiac baby) has been asking for chicken pot pie. So.....we have played with several recipes, and finally came up with a pot pie that has the same flavor and texture as its gluten-filled counterpart. This recipe can be made with chicken or turkey, with fresh, canned, or frozen veggies. I chose frozen veggies and ready made pie crust.
One caveat, this recipe is not the beautiful, perfect pot pies in the recipe pictures, but it is fabulous, and will quickly become a family favorite.
Let's make some chicken pot pie!
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 6 cups gluten-free chicken broth (we used My Essentials, it specifies gluten free)
- 1 32 oz. bag frozen veggies (we used carrots, corn and green beans)
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 4 gluten-free pie shells (we used Wholly Wholesome)
- On medium to high, boil chicken in the gluten-free chicken broth in a large pot until chicken is done.
- In separate pot saute celery in olive oil until tender.
- When chicken is cooked, remove and cut into small pieces, and put back into chicken broth.
- Add frozen veggies and sauteed celery to chicken and broth mixture.
- Stir until mixture returns to boil, and continue to cook until frozen veggies are tender (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Skim and remove 2 cups of broth adding the gluten-free all-purpose flour and whisking until no lumps.
- Slowly combine all-purpose flour mixture to chicken, veggies, and broth.
- Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is thick.
- Spoon chicken pot pie filling into gluten -free pie crust.
- Top with gluten-free pie crust.
- Cut slits into top crust. Bake 30 minutes on 425 until golden brown.
We have (really not beautiful) gluten-free chicken pot pie.