Gluten-Free Mozzarella Cheese Sticks---
Have you ever had a "hankering" for something you knew was completely off limits? Before being diagnosed with celiac disease, mozzarella sticks were a favorite of ours. Fast forward 7 years and the following proverb came to mind, "Necessity is the mother of invention." There was a NEED for gooey cheese and marinara sauce. When the need for something becomes imperative, you are forced to find ways of getting or achieving it.
If you are following a gluten-free diet, and have been going without this treat, the wait is over!
Let's make some mozzarella sticks!
- 1 package 24 oz. string mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour mix
- 4 or 5 eggs
- 2 cups seasoned gluten-free bread crumbs (We used 2 packages Gillian's Italian Breadcrumbs, 340 gram)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. active dry yeast (we used Fleischmann's)
- Marinara Sauce for dipping (make sure gluten-free)
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- Unwrap and cut cut cheese sticks in half.
- In three bowls :1) put eggs and whisk; 2) add all purpose gluten-free flour with salt, pepper, and yeast; 3) gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Dredge cheese in egg mixture, the flour coating, egg mixture again, and then the bread crumb coating.
- Put on plate and chill in freezer for at least 1 hour.
- On medium to high heat, fry in 1/2 inch oil turning until golden brown (this is pretty quick approximately 30 seconds).
- Carefully remove and drain well on paper towels.
Gluten-free mozzarella sticks! Serve hot with Marinara Sauce (make sure gluten free).
To paraphrase Plato:
(GF) Necessity is the mother of (GF) invention.