Gluten-Free Pork and Rutabaga Stew---
Like many families, my family has recipes that have been handed down generation after generation. Many of these recipes have a certain nostalgia that takes you back, and we have associated with them fond memories of loved ones gone from our lives.
This is an old family recipe (no one knows how far back), but my Grandmother Dowdy made this for her family. It was not written down, but handed down verbally, and as such I make a large pot of this because Grandmother cooked for eight children. However, it can be downsized to a smaller recipe!
Let's make some pork and rutabaga stew!
- 3 lbs. pork tenderloin
- 6 cans 14 oz. diced rutabagas (or fresh rutabagas)
- 3 9 oz. gluten free lasagna noodles (we used Heartland corn and rice blend)
- 1 c. cornstarch
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. pepper
- Cut pork tenderloin into smaller pieces and put into large pot with enough water to cover by 2 to 3 inches.
- Bring pork to rolling boil for at least an hour to tenderize.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion, salt, and pepper.
- Cut pork tenderloin into bite sized pieces, and add back into pot.
- Add rutabagas and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Skim and remove 2 cups of broth adding cornstarch and whisking until no lumps.
- Slowly combine cornstarch mixture to pork, rutabaga, and onion.
- Break lasagna noodle into pieces and add to stew, continue to simmer until mixture thickens and noodles are cooked.
We have gluten-free pork and rutabaga stew!