Gluten-Free Fried Okra--
In the South, where every food is a good reason to deep fry, okra. is no exception. In fact, fried okra is considered a delicacy. This recipe combines the essentials: cornmeal and buttermilk. Cornmeal makes the okra super crunchy, and the buttermilk gives it a twang. Be careful when buying the cornmeal and make sure to get cornmeal and not cornmeal mix (this contains flour with lots of gluten).
Some people dislike okra because it can be slimy.However, when okra is fried perfectly it is a mouthful of crunchy, yummy deliciousness.
- 5 cups oil, for frying
- 3 lbs. fresh okra
- 1/2 cup cornmeal + 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (we used Ian's Natural Gluten-Free Panko Breadcrumbs)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- Heat oil in large frying pan medium to high heat (fill oil about halfway the pan).
- Cut off ends of okra, and cut into 1/2 pieces. In a large mixing bowl, cover okra with 1/2 cup cornmeal, mix thoroughly, let sit for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add buttermilk, and dip okra in mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Dredge okra in cornmeal-breadcrumb mixture, make sure to coat well.
- Carefully add okra to the hot oil and cook until golden brown. Remove from oil and serve immediately.
We have gluten-free fried okra.