Hatteras Style Clam Chowder (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
Hailing from the Outer Bank's coast, it is imperative to have a fabulous Hatteras Style Clam Chowder in your cooking repertoire. To explain, on the East Coast, there are three types of clam chowder: New England (thick creamy milk base), Manhattan Style (red broth from tomatoes), and Hatteras Style (a clear broth of clam juice). On the Outer Banks we make Hatteras Style, ours is made from potatoes, onions, bacon, and clams. One caveat, every region thinks their chowder is the best. That being said, I think our Gluten-Free Hatteras Style Clam Chowder is the best.
Let's make some clam chowder!
- 8 cups red potatoes, diced
- 5 (6.5 oz) cans chopped clams
- 8 slices bacon
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups celery, diced
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 (8 oz) clam juice
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. celery salt
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon until it begins to release some of its fat.
- Add onion and celery, cook until they begin to soften.
- Add 6 cups water, potatoes, clam juice, pepper, salt, clams, and celery salt.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
We have Gluten-Free Hatteras Style Clam Chowder!