Baked Potato Skins (Gluten-Free)---
Potato skins are a favorite, we used to order them in restaurants all the time. If you are thinking, "Potato skins are naturally gluten-free," well that is correct. However....most restaurants deep fry their potato skins and if not in a gluten-free designated fryer this is a cross contamination incident waiting to happen. For those with celiac or gluten sensitivities this is not a speed bump but a complete road block. We modified this recipe and baked instead of deep fried, the result is crunchy, cheesy, delicious potato skins without the guilt.
Let's make some potato skins!
- 8 whole Russet potatoes (5 to 6 inches)
- 2 cups Triple Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups bacon bits
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash potatoes, with a sharp knife, pierce each potato several times and sprinkle liberally with salt. Bake for 1 hour. Set potatoes aside to cool.
- Cut potato in half potato lengthwise.
- Set oven to broil.
- Scoop the flesh out of the potato using a spoon.
- Brush the insides of the potatoes with the olive oil.
- . Flip the potatoes over, brush the skin sides with the olive oil. Space oiled potato halves with the skin up and cook about 3 to 4 minutes, the skin should begin to crisp.
- Flip over and broil the potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes on the "top" side until edges begin to crisp.
- Fill the hollowed out part of potato with cheese and bacon bits. Broil about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
We have gluten-free baked potato skins! Garnish with sour cream and serve immediately.