Mahi-Mahi Bites with Southern Comeback Sauce (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free)---
On the Outer Banks of NC, Mahi-Mahi is commonly referred to as dolphinfish. This is a mild flavored fish that can be cut into filets or bites. We battered and fried these fish bites until crispy and delicious, then dipped them in the incomparable Southern Comeback Sauce.
Let's made some gluten-free Mahi-Mahi!
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
INGREDIENTS FOR FISH:
- 2 lbs. fresh mahi-mahi, cut into 1 inch bites
- 3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 cups ground corn meal (gluten-free)
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. ground black pepper
- oil for frying
DIRECTIONS FOR FISH:
- In a small mixing bowl, add eggs and whisk. In the second mixing bowl, combine the flour, corn meal, salt, pepper. Whisk.
- On medium heat, add oil to deep fryer or skillet.
- Dredge the fish in the egg, then in the flour mixture.
Drop fish bites into oil, cook for 3 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown. Take from oil and put on a plate lined with a paper towel.
Serve warm with the Southern Comeback Sauce. ENJOY!!