Gluten-Free Coconut Shrimp--
Coconut Shrimp is served at many restaurants (not usually gluten free), but this homemade gluten free version beats all of them hands down, with or without gluten! Made with panko and coconut flakes, this coconut shrimp is the perfect combination of crispy, sweet, and delicious.
We dipped ours in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce ---straight out of the bottle.
Let's make some gluten-free coconut shrimp!
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined (we butterflied ours)
- 2 cups gluten-free Panko crumbs (we used Ian's)
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Sweet Chili Sauce, for dipping
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In the second medium mixing bowl, combine Panko bread crumbs and shredded coconut. Mix and set aside.
- In the third medium mixing bowl, place all purpose flour.
- Set up assembly line of the 3 bowls. Dredge the shrimp into the 1) the flour, 2) dip into the egg mixture, and 3) dredge into the Panko/coconut mixture (make sure to press/pat this to coat well).
- On medium to high, heat vegetable oil in a skillet until hot. Add shrimp in batches and fry until a crispy and a beautiful golden brown, around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain the oil.
- Repeat in batches.
We have Gluten-Free Coconut Shrimp!
Serve with Sweet Chili Thai Sauce (or dipping sauce of your choice.)