Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies (Gluten-Free, Dairy Free)---
These are the old fashioned (soft and chewy) oatmeal cookies, and are perfect holiday cookies to give as gifts or simply enjoy yourself. I know it is early, but I am going to start featuring some Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday gluten free ideas. I am sure Santa would appreciate these home made cookies with a big ol' glass of milk. As usual, this is a large recipe and can be halved.
Let's make some gluten-free, dairy free old fashioned oatmeal cookies!
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable shorting
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
- 5 cups all purpose gluten free flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp.ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 4 cups gluten-free oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup water
- Simmer raisins and water over medium heat until raisins are plump, about 15 minutes. Drain raisins reserving the liquid. Add enough water to reserve liquid to reserve 1 cup.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix thoroughly shorting, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir in reserved liquid, and blend in remaining ingredients. Make sure to mix well.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons (I use a melon scoop) about 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown.
VOILA! We have gluten-free dairy free old fashioned oatmeal cookies!
Grab a glass of milk and enjoy them hot, or let them cool and put them in a tin for a home made Christmas gift.