This is our gluten free version of Moussaka which is a classic Greek dish. Ours combines fresh eggplant smothered in a meat sauce, and then covered in a mixture of feta, ricotta, Italian five cheese, and Parmesan. Yum!
Let's make some gluten-free Moussaka!
- 4 large eggplants, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs. ground beef, lean
- 2 large Vidalia onions, diced
- 67 oz. Traditional Italian Sauce (we used Prego it is specified gluten-free)
- 6 oz. Basil, garlic, oregano tomato paste
- 12 oz. Feta cheese
- 32 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. Italian 5 cheese
- 8 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with foil. Arrange eggplant slices on foil. Brush liberally with the olive oil, the 2 tsp. salt and 2 tsp. pepper. Bake for about 25 minutes until soft and a golden color.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium/high, add onions, ground beef, 2 tbsp. salt, 2 tbsp. pepper, onion salt, and garlic salt. Cook until onions are translucent and ground beef is browned. Drain excess fat. Add Italian sauce and tomato sauce. Simmer on low for 25 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Ricotta, Feta, Italian 5 cheeses, and shredded Parmesan. Mix thoroughly.
- In a large casserole dish, spoon a layer of meat sauce. Layer half of cooked eggplant slices. Cover with a thin layer of meat sauce. Add half of cheese mixture. Repeat layers-- Spoon a layer of meat sauce., other half of eggplant, thin layer of meat sauce, and top with the other half of cheese mixture.
- Bake for one hour.
We have gluten-free Moussaka!