Gluten-Free Spider Roll---
Learn how to make our all-time favorite Spider Roll at home. It is so much cheaper to make at home, and really fun too!! One of the most difficult mine fields for Celiacs is Asian cuisine. The use of soy sauce (first ingredient is wheat), and the fryers not designated as gluten-free are serious complications for those of us sensitive to gluten. Sushi with fried delicacies are difficult to find. So we decided to make some wonderful Gluten-Free Spider Rolls. Spider Rolls are such a treat, we love the fresh soft crabs combined with the avocado.
For the soft crabs in the recipe, go to our blog Gluten-Free Fried Soft Shell Crabs . The first biggie, is to buy the right rice. It must be labeled sushi rice to achieve the sticky perfection for sushi rolls.
Let's make some delicious Gluten-Free Sushi!!
- .77 oz. Sushi Nori (Roasted Seaweed Sheets)
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups uncooked glutinous white rice (sushi rice)
- 2 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 cups water
Soft Shell Crabs:
- 6 soft shell crabs
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup gf flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tbsp. Old Bay
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups oil for frying
- Pickled ginger
- gluten-free soy sauce
- bamboo mat (we used parchment paper)
- Rinse the rice in cold water. Strain. The ratio of rice to water is 1:1 (one cup rice to one cup water). Fill a saucepan with water, add the rice.
- Turn the heat to medium. Cover the pot and bring water to a boil.
- When the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to simmer until all the water is absorbed by the rice.
- When the water is absorbed, cut off the heat. Keep the rice covered in the pot and let stand for additional 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium mixing bowl, gently stirring with a fork until cooled off where there is no steam. Drizzle with rice vinegar, continue to toss until room temp. Set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half. Cut into quarters. Pinch the peel at the top of the slice. Slowly peel the skin down. Set aside.
- Fry the soft shell crabs according to our recipe Gluten-Free Fried Soft Shell Crabs.
- On a piece of parchment paper ( a bamboo mat is preferable but we could not find ours), place a sheet of the roasted seaweed. Layer with a 1/2 of rice, flatten gently. At the end, place one row of the soft shell crabs. Add one row of avocado.
- Roll it up tightly. Using a sharp knife cut the roll into pieces.
Now let's eat. This can be served with soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi!! Drizzled sriracha or spicy mayo is fabulous also!