Oven Baked Sweet Onion (Gluten Free)---
Amazing, super easy, gourmet side dish.
Unbeknownst to him, my poor fella (not celiac) eats gluten free meals all the time. In addition, he is one of the pickiest eaters I have ever encountered. This is saying something when taken into consideration that there have been times I have cooked three different meals for dinner in my home.
So......when he came home from a hunting trip in Wilmington, NC singing praises about Frankie Trask's baked onions, I knew it was a MUST to try to please my opinionated diner! Thanks for the recipe Frankie!!
Let's make some Oven Baked Sweet Onions!
- 6 large Vidalia sweet onions
- 12 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 6 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup Maple Syrup (the real stuff not pancake syrup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel onions. Core the center.
- Arrange onions in medium baking dish. Place 1 tbsp. butter in the core of each onion. Place onion on aluminum foil, pack with brown sugar, and pour Maple syrup over onion. Put 1 tbsp. butter on the top.
- Wrap the onion completely in the foil. Bake for 1 hour.
VIOLA!! We have super yummy baked onions! Serve warm.