Southern Stewed Chicken (Gluten-Free, Dairy Free)
Stewed Chicken is a recipe from my Grandmother Dowdy. My family's name for this dish is Southern Stewed Chicken, but this delicious recipe has many names........ Slippery Dumplings and Chicken, Chicken and Dumplings, Chicken Pot Pie. However, everyone calls it delicious! This is the perfect meal for a cold winter's day, or if you have a sick loved one.
- 2 lbs. chicken, boneless/skinless
- 1 (32 oz.) chicken broth (make sure gluten free)
- 8 cups water + 2 cups cold water for pie bread + 2 cups for thickener
- 6 cups gluten free all-purpose flour + 2 handfuls all-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 3 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups water to a rolling boil. Add chicken, salt, pepper, celery salt and chicken broth. Cook for an hour on medium to high heat.
- When chicken is tender, remove and shred. Return to pot. Repeat.
- Reduce to medium heat and cook at a simmering boil.
- While chicken is simmering, in a small mixing bowl, add 6 cups flour and vegetable shortening. Knead mixture, adding the 2 cups cold water slowly until desired consistency.
- Place a non-stick pastry mat on flat surface. Sprinkle with flour. Add dough. Sprinkle with flour. Roll until about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into strips.
- Add dough strips to chicken broth mixture. Cook about 15 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, add cornstarch and water. Whisk well. Add to large pot. Cook about 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
We have Southern Stewed Chicken!