Summer Vegetable Parmesan with Squash, Zucchini, Bell Pepper and Fried Eggplant (Gluten-Free, Vegetarian)---
There are still a few yummy summer veggies still coming off in our garden. However, this is probably the last Hoorah. Nothing showcases and combines the vegetables like a baked parmesan. This recipe combines bell pepper, squash, zucchini, and fried eggplant into one succulent dish infused with yummy Ricotta and mozzarella cheeses.
Let's make some vegetable parmesan!
Veggie sauce ingredients:
- 1 (45 oz.) gluten-free spaghetti sauce
- 2 medium zucchini, diced medium
- 2 medium summer squash, diced medium
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 large bell pepper, diced
- 3 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, for sauteing
Fried eggplant ingredients:
- 3 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups olive oil, for frying
- 2 (32 0z.) Ricotta cheese
- 2 (16 oz.) mozzarella cheese
Fry the eggplant: see our blog post Gluten-Free Fried Eggplant Parmesan Spaghetti for instructions on frying the eggplant.
- Add olive oil about half way in a large frying pan on medium to high heat.
- In two bowls: 1) whisk eggs and milk; 2) whisk breadcrumbs, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge eggplant first through the egg mixture, and then dredge into the flour mixture.
- Add a single layer of eggplant to hot oil, brown on one side, then turn over until golden brown on the other side. Remove and place on plate lined with paper towels to drain the oil.
Make the sauce:
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium/high heat. Add onions, zucchini, squash, and bell pepper. Season with the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Saute until the onions are translucent. Add spaghetti sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the Ricotta cheese with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a large baking pan, spray with non stick baking spray. Spread 1/2 of spaghetti sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with fried eggplant.
- Cover with Ricotta cheese. Layer with the remaining spaghetti sauce. Finally, cover with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven.
We have summer vegetable parmesan!! ENJOY.