Platanos Maduros--- Sweet Fried Plantains (Gluten-Free, Dairy Free)---
Fried Sweet Plantains is a dish popular around the globe. This is a Cuban recipe and at the top of my "to try" list. My family refers to this dish as "those black bananas"---however, plantains are not bananas. They are a relation, but unlike bananas they cannot be eaten raw. The plantains must be very ripe, and so black they look like they should be thrown out. This dish meets the southern prerequisite (fried), but did not call for powdered sugar, I added this (because everything is delicious fried and coated in powdered sugar.
Let's make some Platanos Maduros!
- 4 ripe plantains (yellow spotted with brown) or very ripe (black)
- 1/2 cup canola oil for frying
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Start with really ripe plantains, the darker the skin the sweeter it taste.
- Cut ends from plantains and remove the peel. In a large frying pan, heat oil medium to high heat. Cut plantain into 1/2 inch diagonal slices and drop into hot oil.
- Fry on both side about 1 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer plantains onto paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
We have Sweet Fried Plantains! Serve immediately.