Gluten-Free Buttermilk Fried Green Tomatoes ---
Green tomatoes, fried coated in buttermilk and cornmeal batter, are a favorite in the south---for good reason. We topped these off with brie and caramelized onion jam. However, I am a purist and like mine with ketchup!
Let's make some fried green tomatoes!
- 4 green tomatoes
- 3 cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour (we used Gluten-Free Bisquick)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups corn meal ( we used Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free Yellow Cornmeal)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp. salt + salt to sprinkle on tomatoes
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 3 cups oil for frying
- 2-- 8 oz. Brie
- Caramelized Onion Jam
- Cut tomatoes into half inch slices, place over wire rack, salt one side of the tomato, turn over and salt the other side. Let sit for 30 minutes to get excess moisture out of tomato. Take from rack and pat dry.
- In three small mixing bowls: 1) add 2 cups all purpose flour; 2) whisk eggs and buttermilk; 3) whisk 1 cup all purpose flour, 2 cups corn meal salt, and pepper.
- Dredge the tomato in bowl 1, 2, and 3. In that order.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan to medium to high. Place the tomatoes gently in the oil, fry each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes each side.
We have buttermilk fried tomatoes!
We topped these with Brie and Caramelized Onion Jam!